Friday: (Location: HtO SurfShop Uptown) Class: 4:00pm-8:30pm
Saturday: (Location: French Beach Area) Field: 11:00am to 5:00pm
Intertidal Seaweed Harvesting & hanging workshop AM / Snorkelling and Hand-Harvesting PM
COST: 275.00 6 Spots Available
This Joint Experience on offer from Bottom Dwellers Freediving and Dakini Tidal Wilds is a 2 Day Course which instructs and explores the basics of sustainable and ethical hand harvesting on our coast while getting you snorkelling safely and comfortably in our local waters.
Learn the fundamental skill sets of snorkelling and hand harvesting in the classroom, then take this knowledge and apply it out in the elements on our beautiful coast-line in guided workshops and sessions with Chris Adair of Bottom Dwellers and Amanda Swinimer of Dakini Tidal Wilds.
Leading an intertidal workshop in the morning of the second day Amanda will share her knowledge on seaweeds and kelps as we explore the intertidal zone during the selected low tide for this course. After the intertidal session we will return to Amanda’s hanging room with sea-weeds and kelps to learn the basics of hanging your own harvest.
Following a lunch break we will then head out into the confined-waters of the French Beach area where you’ll take the knowledge learnt in the classroom and apply it in an in-water setting where you’ll hone in the fundamentals of Snorkelling and Hand Harvesting while within the first 15’ of the surface with Chris Adair from Bottom Dwellers Freediving.
Day 1: 4.5 hours of classroom instruction and knowledge development
Day 2: Full Day in the field with BD Freediving and Dakini Tidal Wilds. Intertidal Seaweed Harvest and Hang Workshop (2.5 hrs), Confined Water Snorkelling Session (1.5 hrs), Snorkel Harvest/Tour (1.5 hrs)
- Dress in layers
- Bucket/Cooler (if planning on bringing harvested items home at the end of the day)
- Pocket Knife (for on shore)
- Mask and Snorkel
- Exposure Protection (wetsuit, hood, booties and gloves)
- Dive Knife (used for safety and sometimes for prying)
- Weightbelt & Weights (optional: anyone wearing weights will follow PFI Standards at a minimum)
- competent swimming skills
- Minimum 8 years of age (If a participant is 13 years of age or younger, a Parent or Guardian must take and participate in the course with this youth)
To register, click on this link: